NEWPORT AND DISTRICT COMMUNITY FORUM VENUES IN AND AROUND NEWPORT
Newport Memorial Hall (West Street) - a Trust and Registered Charity run by a management committee of volunteers and offering:-
- An auditorium with a sprung floor and proscenium stage and a comfortable seating capacity of 250 (400 standing) which forms the main multipurpose space and is suitable for large meetings, theatre, concerts, choirs, dances, parties, including affordable wedding receptions, exhibitions, auctions, sales etc and which also accommodates some indoor sports. This space hosts the annual Remembrance Sunday service.
- A committee room, used by community groups for smaller meetings, classes, parties, yoga and meditation etc.
- Two downstairs garden rooms opening onto a pleasant outside area, mostly used by art
- groups and for chidren's parties
- The large kitchen can be hired in conjunction with any of these spaces
Please note: There is nolonger a restriction on consumption of alcohol on Hall premises. The Hall is licensed to sell alcohol and provides a bar run by Hall volunteers by arrangement
To hire space please contact Reg Atkinson on 01239 820889
To volunteer to help in running the Hall contact Lowri Evans 07800 568211
Ysgol Bro Ingli (Long Street) – The Local Authority primary school. The following spaces can be made available by special arrangement out of school hours:-
- The School Hall which is smaller than the Memorial Hall auditorium but accommodating similar functions
- The School Carpark which has been used for outside sales and celebrations (sometimes in conjunction with hire of the Playing Fields Trust building (see below)
- To hire space please contact the Head Teacher Mrs Enfys Howells 01239 820682
The (private members') Boat Club (The Parrog) – where anyone can hire
- The Commodore's Lounge which provides a medium sized meeting space with beautiful sea views, with or without the use of
- The Nevern Room which is a second smaller room with views across the Nevern estuary
- Both are served by a small galley kitchen
- The Boat Club has a comfortable members' bar, again with lovely views
- To hire space please contact the Boat Club Manager 01239 820503
Business UNIT 3 The Old School (Lower St Mary Street) – leased from Pembrokeshire County Council by Newport Town Council for Council meetings and to otherwise continue making the space available for community use
To hire this space please contact The Clerk, Ms L. Evans 01239 821127
The Changing Rooms Building (at The Playing Field, Long Street) – owned by Newport Town Council and administered by Newport Playing Field Trustees, has
The Children's Activity Centre, a kitchenette and 2 changing rooms and showers, available for hire when not used by Newport Playgroup or the After-School Club
To hire space please contact the Trustees' Honorary Secretary, Ms L Evans 01239 821127
Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Information Centre (Long Street) - a small meetings space is made available during opening hours for community groups and when not otherwise in use
To hire this space please enquire at the reception 01239 820912
PCNPA also owns the Kiln Cottage at Parrog, a small unheated single space with a loft, potentially available for hire. Please contact the PCNPA Estates Officer 0845 3457275
Newport Town Council leases from the Barony and maintains Parrog Shelter
Places of Worship:
St Mary's Church itself is used for some musical events.
St Mary's also has a medium sized hall, The Church Chapel, with the facility of a kitchen, used for a variety of activities, including dances, fairs and sales.
To use St Mary's Church facilities please contact a church warden Mrs Alice Evans 01239 820209
Tabernacle (Long Street) and Bethlehem (Upper West Street) Chapels each have pleasant rooms, also with small kitchens that have provided for meetings, sales and exhibition space.
Please contact Rosemary Elmes 01239 820104 and Aeres James 01239 820906 respectively to enquire about using these spaces
Ebenezer Chapel (Lower St Mary Street) - has recently been renovated and makes a fine space especially for musical events.
Please contact Glan Rees 01239 820510 to enquire about use of the Chapel
Other privately owned venues which are often generously made available at reasonable rates to community groups include spaces within:-
- The Castle Inn (West Street) Nick and Julie Hartery 01239 820742
- The Royal Oak (West Street) Dean Junnaieem 01239 820602
- The Golden Lion (East Street) Darren Paish 01239 820321
- Newport Links Golf Club Julian Noott 01239 820244
- The Llwyngwair Manor Marilyn Ennis 01239 820498
Outside Civic and Recreational facilities in the town include:
- The Playing Field, and Skate Park (Long Street) on land owned by Newport Town Council and administered by Newport Playing Field Trust
- To hire facilities, please contact the Trustees' Honorary Secretary, Ms L. Evans 01239 821127
- Two Tennis Courts on land owned by Newport Town Council, administered by Newport Playing Field Trust and managed by Newport Tennis Club To hire courts please book at the National Park Information Centre on Long Street 01239 820912
- The multi-use games area (MUGA), constructed by Pembrokeshire County Council, is situated on PCC land and made freely available for the community when not in use by the School.
- The children's playground (Lower St Mary Street) also constructed on PCC grounds and now leased to Newport Town Council and freely available
- Parc Y Plant, (Pen Yr Bont) offering a freely available grassed and enclosed kick around space
- The Memorial Hall garden – a pleasant enclosed grassed area which can be hired when usiing one or more garden rooms or other Hall spaces. 01239 820889
- The Barony-owned Parrog Green, which the Lord Marcher kindly allows the community to use for several festivals and fairs by arrangement
- The Friends of Newport and Nevern own and maintain a small public garden at the top of Market Street.
- The Victoria (Jubilee) Gardens at Upper West Street is owned by PCC
- A small area of land by the Castle Hotel on West Street is owned by the Town Council and is the location of the Town centre notice board, and The Town War Memorial Plaque and where the annual Armistice Day Service is held
- The Town Council also owns the Fountain on East Street and built the Bus shelter, now also leasing the small area of garden around it which is maintained by volunteers
- Yr Hen Castell on the Estuary Path is on land owned by Newport Town Council and administered by Newport Playing Field Trust
- Banc Y Capel at the top of Upper St Mary Street is Barony land but maintained by the Town Council
To correct or make additions to this list, please contact Sandra Bayes on 01239 820889