Registered Charity No. 515724
The Friends of Newport and Nevern was founded by Miss Audrey Bosville as a result of a public meeting held in the Memorial Hall in Newport in November 1959. She remained chairman for the next fifteen years. The meeting was to voice opposition of the people of the area to plans by a developer for damming the estuary, thus making a marina between the Parrog and Iron Bridge. No marina was built. The Friends also strongly opposed the building of two bungalows on the site at the top of Market Street when it came on the market. They were able to buy the property in 1969, and designed and constructed a garden there, which received a Prince of Wales Award in 1971. The garden is still maintained by volunteers of the Friends. A further fight was undertaken when a plan for twenty five houses in Feidr Ganol was presented in the National Park Local Plan of 1995, this was successfully overturned.
All the above has happened with considerable financial aid from the members of the Society, and other interested parties, and the continuance of the Society depends on support from Newport and Nevern.
The stated objects of the Friends are:
• to promote high standards of planning and architecture in, or affecting, the area;
• to educate the public in the geography, history, natural history and architecture of the area;
• to secure the preservation, protection, development and improvement of features of historic or public interest.